This year, I’ve been really focused on moving outside my comfort zone and trying new things.
I tried a 10k.
I tried container gardening.
I tried beef jerky…
Last week I tried ARCHERY! And I absolutely LOVED it!!
Here is a clip of my archery experience:
Ok, so not really, but that’s how I felt going in to it! I was going to learn how to be Merida!!
I had never tried archery before, and I wasn’t sure what to expect. When I arrived I started to get a little bit nervous. Would I shoot myself in the foot? Would I shoot someone else in the foot? Would the bow snap and hit me in the face? Would I miss the target every. single. time?
I didn’t need to be worried! Owners Tom and Kathy, were wonderful! They taught us everything we needed to know to get started safely! Safety is stressed at Ace Archers, and that helped calm my nerves a bit. If I followed all of Tom’s instructions, I would not be shooting anyone in the foot!
With their assistance we chose our bows, and were given our arrows and quiver (the arrow “holster”)
After instruction on how to hold the bow, and how to place the arrow, we were given the signal to let those arrows fly! My first arrow hit my neighbor’s target. OK, ok, no big deal. It was my first shot, I’ll get better. I shot again. That arrow hit the board my target was mounted on. OK, getting closer… Eventually, I hit the target! Not a bulls-eye by any means, but much closer!
After a few rounds of shooting, we were given balloons to shoot at! This was so much fun! There was something so exciting about that POP! when you hit your balloon!
Eventually I figured out how I should be aiming, and my shooting improved (though you can see I was still hitting mostly high and to the right)
I ended up loving it so much that I didn’t want to leave! In fact, I only stopped because I felt like I was keeping everyone from going home to bed! Of course, Tom and Kathy didn’t say that, they were so gracious and kind. Tom even took the time to show Kraus House Mom and I some other styles of bows!
I had such a great time, that I could not stop talking about the experience when I got home, and, I cannot wait to go back! I’ll be purchasing a class card this week, and learning more about my new favorite sport!
Here are a few fast facts about Ace Archers:
- No experience is necessary! Ace Archers welcomes all levels, from first timers to tournament archers!
- Open range time is $14/hour with equipment included or $12/hour if you have your own.
- Children must be aged 8 and up!!
- Reservations for open shooting are not required, but are recommended.
- They hold classes from Beginner to Tournament level, and also offer private classes and coaching.
- You can have your birthday party, team building event, even your bachelorette party at Ace Archers!
- They have a full pro-shop and sell & service all archery equipment. They can also make custom strings and arrows.
- Ace Archers is family owned and operated, and staffed by USA Archery Certified Instructors
- it is located at 131 Morse St, Foxborough, MA
Thank you, Tom & Kathy, for such a fun evening!
So, what do you think? Ready to unleash your inner Merida, or Katniss, or Robin Hood, or Legolas, or Link or… (you get the idea) Enter below to win a pass good for 4 hours of range time at Ace Archers! Maybe I’ll see you there!