I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite things about christmas is the mass quantities of baked goods! I Love it, especially the cookies! I don’t really eat cookies the rest of the year, but I definitely make up for it at Christmas!
This year friends and I are doing a cookie exchange and I wanted to make something easy that would yield a bunch of cookies. With a toddler, I just don’t have the time to slave over shortbread cookies with royal icing designs piped on them, or spend hours and hours making batch after batch, while Avery jumps off the couch and draws on the walls.
I decided on one of my favorite types of cookies–Russian Tea cakes (Also known as Butter Balls, Mexican Wedding Cookies and Snowballs)
My first step was to hire an assistant….
Then I gathered my ingredients. This recipe only calls for 6 ingredients! It doesn’t get much simpler than that! Flour, powdered sugar, salt, butter and nuts! You can leave the nuts out for a nut allergy-free treat!
I set my butter out first, so it can soften while I gather the other ingredients. I then blend (with a hand mixer) the butter and vanilla until it’s nice and fluffy. Next I mix in the other dry ingredients. I like to use my hands for this, so I get a good mix! Then roll the dough into 1 inch balls, and place about an inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
You will bake these at 400* for about 10 minutes (You know your oven better than I do, and all ovens vary–so keep an eye on them!) You want them to be firm, but not brown (a slight tint of gold is what I look for)
Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Toss the warm cookies into the powdered sugar, coating well. Then place on a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled, coat them in sugar again!
Eat, and enjoy! And it is perfectly OK to get some sugar on your nose!
- 2¼ cups All Purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, and macadamia are my favorites to use)
- Powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 400*
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until whipped and fluffy.
- Blend in ½ cup powdered sugar and vanilla until well mixed.
- Mix in flour, nuts and salt (I use my hands for this) until the dough holds together.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch apart
- to 12 minutes (ovens vary) They should have a slight hint of gold, but should not brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, slightly.
- Coat the warm cookies in sugar (I roll them in a bowl of sugar) and and place on a cooling rack.
- Allow cookies to cool, fully, and roll the cookies in a second coating of sugar.
- Eat, share, enjoy!