This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FreeandCleanLiving #CollectiveBias
Summer vacation is right around the corner, and so many of us will be taking this time to travel, even if just for a weekend or day trips. We don’t have anything planned yet, but I’m sure our family will find ourselves hopping in the car to speed off on a little getaway or two!
When we travel, our cat, India, stays home to enjoy some peace and quiet. My parents come a few times a week to check on her. Daisy, our dog, either comes with us or spends the week at the doggy resort. India gets full reign over the house without the dog, or Avery pestering her. India LOVES when we go away! We give her a full hopper of food, (and remind her not to eat it all at once) we leave her favorite catnip toys out so she stays active while we’re gone, and we set out some cozy blankets around the house in her favorite resting spots. We also make sure to leave her with a clean litter box. There are few things worse than coming home from vacation to find that your house smells like animals, or worse–finding that your pets left you some unwanted *surprises* outside the litter box.
On our last trip, we started using New TIDY CATS® Free & Clean™ Unscented Clumping Litter. I prefer unscented litter because the after awhile, I start to associate the fragrance of the other litters with litter box odor. So while some may smell “Fragrant Fresh Clean Honey Blossom By The Sea” All I smell is litter box.
Tidy Cats® knows powerful odor control is at the top of your list of litter must-haves…but sometimes added fragrances and dyes just aren’t what you want. Free & Clean offers you the odor-absorbing power of activated charcoal plus TidyLock® Protection to lock away odors—giving you the clean you need free of the stuff you don’t. It is our go-to litter, especially when we travel.
We pick it up at Target (where else would we go??) It’s convenient since we can purchase all our travel necessities there. Travel toiletries, sunblock, smoke alarm batteries, cat food, etc. Everything we need to prepare for vacation is available at Target! And I am there every day, anyway!
Target is also running a great coupon through the Cartwheel app and you don’t want to miss out. You can get $10 off on your pet care purchase of $40 or more. I stocked up on litter, a new litter box, new toys, food, and an adorable cat tent (because what cat doesn’t want a tent??) and took advantage of that great deal!
Now we have everything our cat needs for our future trips! So how do we prep for vacation? Well, here are a few of our tips for preparing your home AND your pets for summer travel:
- Make it look like someone is home:
- Put a hold on your mail and newspaper delivery or have a friend or neighbor pick it up daily.
- Put lights on a timer. An outdoor motion sensor light is also a great idea.
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway, or move your car every now and then, so it looks like someone is home.
- If you’ll be gone awhile, consider hiring someone to mow the lawn.
- Turn it off, Unplug it, Turn it down:
- Unplug all small appliances.
- Turn off your water at the main valve .
- Turn down your a/c or heat to save electricity/fuel.
- Turn down your hot water heater.
- Check/replace batteries in your smoke detector.
- Clean up:
- Throw out food in the fridge that may go bad while you’re gone.
- Take out the trash.
- Wash the sink, and garbage disposal.
- Add a toilet cleaner tab to your toilets to prevent bacteria build up and staining.
- Prepare your pets:
- If you are boarding or traveling with your pet make sure they are up to date on all required vaccinations.
- If your pets will be staying home, look into hiring a dog walker and/or pet sitter to care for your pets while you’re gone.
- Even if your pets do not require a ton of care while you’re gone, ask a friend or family member to at least check in on them.
- Clean up anything that could be a temptation to your pets while you’re away. (plants, shoes, piles of clothing, small toys, etc.)
- Purchase automated food dishes.
- Clean out the litter box, and fill it with fresh litter (we recommend New TIDY CATS® Free & Clean™ Unscented Clumping Litter)
- Other Tips:
- Don’t announce your travel plans publicly on social media.
- Make sure everything is locked and secure. This includes pet doors!
- Do not leave a spare key outside. Give keys to anyone who may need them.
- Notify your security company that you will be traveling.
- Notify your credit card company of your travel plans.
It is important to us, as I am sure it is to everyone, the ensure that our home is safe and secure when we are out of town. And our pet’s comfort is a major priority as well. I’m happy that we’ve found a cat liter that we can trust has benefits for her (no scents, no dyes, and 99.9% dust free) and works well for us (Unscented Odor Control with the Power of Activated Charcoal, tight clumps for easy scooping, and TidyLock Protection to lock away odors.)
What are your best tips and tricks for prepping your home and your pets for travel? Please share them in the comments!
India can’t wait for our next vacation!