*Disclosure-I was invited to see the show as part of Blogger Bash. I received a family four pack of tickets to give away to one lucky Sweet Lil You reader! All opinions are my own*A few weeks ago, while attending Blogger Bash, I had the great privilege of attending a Blue Man Group show! It was my first time seeing them, and I can say with certainty that it will not be my last! I absolutely LOVED the show!
When we arrived at the Astor theater, I was surprised at how small it was. I don’t know why, but in my mind, Blue Man Group requires a massive stage area in a large venue. Not so!! In fact, the intimate venue made the experience so much more, well…intimate! Our seats were in the 3rd row, and they were perfect! When I noticed that our tickets were in the “Poncho Area” I will admit, I was a mix of ecstatic and terrified! Would I be covered in paint? Soaked with water? Something worse? I had no idea, but I was ready to find out!
I had such an incredible time at the show! It was a huge party, and I loved all the audience interaction. After the show we were lucky to have a Q&A with creative director and long-time Blue Man, Randall Jaynes!! It was so cool to meet an actual Blue Man, and learn about what goes into the role!
If you’ve never experienced a Blue Man Group show, let me tell you, it is LOUD, it is BRIGHT, it is AWESOME! You may also be wondering, as I was prior to seeing the show, Is Blue Man Group kid friendly?
The short answer is YES! But let me take a minute to point out some important details.
1. It. is. LOUD!!! I know that Avery, at 3, is currently going through a phase where loud noises bother her. (Loud music, auto-flush toilets, hair and hand dryers, motorcycles on our street, etc.) Some kids may love the volume of the show, while others may not. You, as the parent, will know best how your child will handle it. You can also request ear plugs from the ushers, to help if it ends up being a bit too much for your child.
2. It can be messy! While I think almost every child will love this, I know there are some kids who may not! Paint, banana cream, cereal… it will fly out into the audience, and it may get all over you. If you don’t want to get messy, it’s best to sit further from the stage.
3. There are age restrictions for some shows. Children under 3 are not permitted at the Boston, Chicago and New York shows. In Las Vegas and Orlando they recommend the show for children ages 3 and older. It is up to the Box Office or Front of House Manager to admit children under the age of 3 into the theater. Children under age 3 are admitted at no charge; however they will be required to sit on the lap of their parent or guardian. Check with the venue for information regarding age restrictions for the tour.
4. There are strobe lights. If you are sensitive to strobe lights, you can still attend the show, just let the usher know and they will escort you out prior to the strobes.
5. There is no intermission. The show runs approximately 90 to 105 minutes, and that can be a long time for kids to sit. Also, it’s important to hit the restrooms BEFORE the show starts so you don’t have to get up in the middle. (And listen for the “Bathroom Song” while you’re in there!)
6. The Blue Men might be a bit frightening to some kids. Blue Men interact with the audience, and come right out into the seating area. This is a lot of fun, but some kids may be scared.
Other tips for taking your kids to see Blue Man Group:
- Bring a camera! There are Meet & Greets after the shows and you don’t want to miss out on a fun photo op!
- Booster seats are available, so ask the ushers if you need one!
- Have your child watch videos of the show on YouTube, to get a feel of what to expect.
- Visit the Blue Man Group family page for activities, tips, and FAQs
- Dress in white or light colored clothes. Just trust me on this one!
OK, so now for the extra fun part!! How would you like to win a Four-Pack of tickets to see Blue Man Group?? Enter below for a chance to win a family four-pack of tickets to ANY US show including the shows in Boston, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, Orlando, and the US Tour!