I’ve been sick this week, and when I’m not feeling well, I want soup. Specifically Chicken & Rice soup. I’m not sure why, but that is my go-to, I have a cold, comfort food. The problem is, I don’t eat rice anymore since starting my low carb lifestyle, so what’s a girl to do?
Make her own soup, that’s what! We’d had a chicken the night before, and had a ton left-over, so it was actually perfect timing. Instead of regular rice I used shiritaki rice which is a low carb, low fat, low calorie, gluten free, sugar free, fat free, soy free, guilt free substitute made from the root of a plant called the Konnyaku Imo. I threw in a bunch of veggies, and Voila! A delicious, low carb hearty chicken and “rice” soup!! It warmed me up, soothed my throat, and filled my belly! Dave’ loved it too!
- 1lb Cooked Chicken (if you're using left over chicken, just use whatever you have)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups green beans, cut
- 2 8oz bags Shiritaki Rice
- 1 tsp garlic salt (more to taste)
- In a large pot, combine chicken and vegetables and pour in broth. Make sure that the broth covers all the ingredients. Add more broth/water if needed.
- Add salt/garlic salt to taste and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 60 min
- Add salt & pepper to taste
It was so good, we picked up another chicken so I could make another batch later in the week! You could make this with leftover Thanksgiving turkey as well!
For more Thanksgiving and fall recipes and crafts, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Hot Spiced Cranberry Cider by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Coconut Cream Pie Recipe by A Mom’s Take
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole by Mom Does It All
- Pumpkin Lebkuchen Donuts by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Turkey Sweet Potato Chili by Home And Garden Cafe
- Peanut Butter Cup Cake by Simply Southern Mom
- Heaven’s Delight Pineapple Marshmallow Thanksgiving Dessert Recipe by Pretty Opinionated
- Thanksgiving Craft: “Give Thanks” Wooden Blocks by Better in Bulk
- Delicious Chocolate Genoise Recipe by OurFamilyWorld
- Easy Thanksgiving Centerpiece by Upstate Ramblings
- Family Gratitude Journal by Day by Day in Our World
- How to Make Pumpkin Gnocchi by Jennifer Sikora
- Fun Turkey Cupcake Idea by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Fall Harvest Pins DIY Fall Harvest Craft by Blessed Elements
- Soft Baked White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies by Savvy Saving Couple
- Mini Fall Leaf Decorated Cookies by How Was Your Day?
- Homemade Apple Muffins by Momma D Jane